Tuesday 3 July 2012

DVD review: I Spill Your Guts (2012)


On a routine military mission, Dennis (James Balsamo) and Joe (Billy Walsh) are quickly surrounded by enemy fire, When Joe stands into the line of fire to run, Dennis pushes him, out of the way, only to take a bullet to the throat. Following his tragic injury, Denns wakes up in the hospital to find Joe has stolen the credit as the hero and told the ultimate lie. Joe took all the glory, leaving mute Dennis with only one option. When the two return home to New York, the war rages on in the streets. Dennis seeks revenge on Joe, killing anyone close to him. One little lie will cost many innocent lives. I Spill Your Guts is written and directed by James Balsamo. The plot is cool. The acting isn´t very good but hey we aren´t expecting any prizewinning performances here, the camerawork and editing is semidecent, it isn´t good but it isn´t awful. The soundtrack, well fans of heavy metal will love it but I´m a bit more skeptic, it doesn´t exactly help to create atmosphere or set the creepy mood that is needed for a succesful horror movie. The pacing is pretty good, it never gets boring and Balsamo gives us lots of killings and plenty of nudity to keep us entertained. There is both intentional and  some unintentional comedy in the film. There is gore but I´ll be honest, I was expecting a lot more blood and guts considering the title I Spill Your Guts and that poster (which in my opnion is very cool). The gore make-up fx is standard indie stuff and practical.
Fans of T & A will love this flick, there is plenty of female nudity (including full frontal) in I Spill Your Guts as several girls takes their clothes of.
This review is based upon the region 1 DVD release from Libra Verde, it´s unrated.
Rating: 2½ out of 7. I Spill Your Guts is cheap, it´s simple but pretty entertaining. I would have wanted much more graphic violence/gore and another soundtrack. I might sound a bit harsh in my review but I want to point out that James Balsamo shows improvement in his craftmanship, this has a somewhat coherent plot, better acting and more gore than his debut feature film Hack Job which was a complete mess..

/JL



No comments:

Post a Comment