Tuesday 17 July 2012

Review: Beyond the Grave (2010)


First I´d like to thank Isidoro B. Guggiana for getting in touch with me and asking if I would be interested in reviewing Beyond the Grave. In a devastated post-apocalyptic world where the rules of reality are transformed by magic and madness, a vengeful police officer searches for a possessed serial killer in a battle of the not-so-good versus absolute evil. Beyond the Grave is written and directed by Davi de Oliveira Pinheiro. It´s a action/horror and dark fantasy flick from Brazil. The acting is pretty good, the pacing is slow, very slow and this might be a turn off for some viewers from the MTV-generation. The camerawork and editing is good. There is some gore, practical make-up fx, of which some looks good and some not so good. The make-up design for the Returners (zombies) is very uneven, from bad to okay.
No T & A in this.
This review is based upon a DVD-screener provided by Lockheart Filmes.
Rating: 4½ out of 7. Beyond the Grave was a surprise and not at all what I had expected. It´s unique and original in its blending of different genres. It feels poetic and surrealistic. It do suffer a bit due to its limited budget and I can´t help to think what they might have done with a little bit more money. I have no problem with the slow pacing, I actually think it works in its advantage.

/JL

No comments:

Post a Comment